Meet the Khalil Family
- ABOUT ME: I am an American by choice and I choose to be an American Muslim. Islam is found in American institutions and in the American way of life. I find Islam in the Constitution, in the Bill of Rights, in the idea that everybody has inalienable rights, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That is Islam.
- ABOUT MY COMMUNITY: We are asking Naperville in all sincerity to show our community the respect and dignity owed to us as tax paying, law abiding, contributing members of society. This is our home too.
- ABOUT AL ANDALUS: Al Andalus refers to a once great Muslim territory in the Iberian peninsula. For Muslims, it evokes an era of profound scientific discovery and scholarly achievement, critical thinking and artistic accomplishment. For seven centuries, Muslims, Christians, and Jews coexisted peacefully and prosperously, laying the intellectual groundwork for what would become known as The Renaissance.
- ABOUT ME: When I leave the house no one wonders what I am. Have you any idea all the nasty stares and suspicious looks I get? But do I take off my hijab? Never! Because I’m not a coward! You, Mostafa, you on the other hand are bending. You’re trying to fit in.
- ABOUT MY COMMUNITY: It’s tough raising kids in this culture. Here I am trying to raise Maryam and Issa to be proud Muslims, and they’re being bombarded with all this anti-Muslim propaganda. How do I protect them from all these bad American influences? I don’t want my kids to assimilate. No! Islam has principles. There is right and there is wrong.
- ABOUT AL ANDALUS: We should be the ones building that center. You and me. Not that nouveau riche trash. The Qabbani’s have been poisoning this masjid with their money for years now. They’re not Muslims. That “modern” Islam they practice undermines the entire community.